This past week, I had the opportunity to chronicle a Dragon rocket launch at Cape Kennedy in Florida and did it with my journal as well as a with my Journalist app on a Surface Pro tablet. I combined them here to share.
Here is a short supply list to get you started with art/travel journaling:
Pick a journal that is easy to take anywhere. Do not get a journal with standard book binding as they wear out.
- Good: Spiral Sketchbook (5″ x 8″) thick paper is best for watercoloring
- Best: The Origninal 5″x7.5″ Journal with watercolor paper from Iona Handcrafted Books
- Sharpie Ultra Fine Point Black Pen
- Pentel Arts Pocket Brush Pen
- Pentel Japan Aquash Waterbrush Water Brush Pen, Medium
- Winsor & Newton Cotman Water Colour Paint Sketchers’ Pocket Box, Set of 12, Half Pans
- Glue Stick
- X=Acto Retractable Blade Knife
What else would you recommend?
Now find an Urban Sketchers group in your area or where you plan to visit and start chronicling your journey.
Michael S. Scherotter
Journalist & Urban Sketcher | Journaling Adventures | Journaling Workshops
Thank you everyone who came to my first show at The Forge Tattoo on Friday night – I had a great time showing everyone my journals and chatting about them. Hopefully I inspired a few people to pick up a pen and journal to start chronicling their journeys as well. Doing an event like this got me thinking that I need to do more to share my craft. So here is my ask to you:
if you know of a group that would like a workshop on journaling, a business who would like to host a show of my collection, or someone who would like to help plan or take a journaling adventure, please reach out to me – see my proposal here.
- GoPro Sketching Stand
- micro:bit Journaling Bag
- Journalist series on YouTube
- Journalist app for Windows
- Today I get my journals from Iona Handcrafted Books